Subject: Valve springs--the saga continues Subject: Valve springs--the saga continues Subject: Valve springs--the saga continues

Okay, I made a little thingy for the spring compressor to hinge on that will bolt on to the cam bearing thingies (I still don't know what I'm going to do for the exhaust valves), but now I have a new problem. I had planned on pressurizing the cylinders to keep the valves up, using the little hose from my compression gauge. However, it seems as though the hose has a one-way valve in the end, so this totally won't work. My question for the collective wisdom of the digest is: is there a way to jam this valve open without breaking anything, or is there another readily available piece of equipment I can use to attach the air compressor to a spark plug hole??

Aha.. thanks for informing me of a problem I would discover later.. I was contemplating buying a leakdown test fixture.. it was going to include a gauge and cost a lot.. Then I realized my ancient compression tester had a quick disconnect fitting in the middle of it's hose.. that fit a hose I have on a CO2 cylinder with regulator I use as a compressed air source.

But you're right.. I haven't tried using it yet, so I hadn't noticed. If I remember right there might be a bicycle tire valve in there for the one way, and you could carefully unscrew the valve body and have just a thru pipe.

Hmmm.. just went to the garage to look.. mine has no valve at all, in the lower half anyway, except for a bike valve type up in the gauge body to relieve pressure after testing.
Hope your's does have a removable valve, otherwise finding some kind of leakdown fixture should do it for you. Whether the pressure of your air on the valve head will be enough to hold the valve closed against the spring remover might be another story.. Try calculating the square area of the vavle head, against the PSI you will apply, and measure that against the spring tension to see if you will have more force holding it closed, or not.. Do that first... since the whole idea might not be feasable, and then you're wasting your money buying things.
Wasn't there a "feed rope into the cylinder so the valves are braced at TDC" technique?

Jon