Subject: GTV6 valve spring mess: next question

In a message dated 7/14/2002 10:54:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 19:38:31 -0400
> From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
> Subject: GTV6 valve spring mess: next question
>
> Now the current dilemma:
> I put ~50psi in the cylinder (at which point the ancient air
> compressor I borrowed essentially gives up), and push down on the
> spring compressor, but the valve opens.  D'oh!!  Will more pressure
> solve this problem or is there something else I need to be doing to
> separate the piece and get the spring to compress and leave the valve
> where it is??

    I usually use 80 to 100 PSI.  But, to pop stubborn keepers loose,  you
can place a socket over the top of the spring retainer and gently  tap it
with a hammer.  Hit it just hard enough to jar it loose.  Hit it too hard and
springs and keepers and retainers fly all over the shop and down into the
engine and anywhere else you don't want them to go!
    No, don't ask and I won't tell you how I know!!

  Skip
67 Duetto
Norfolk, Va.