Smog checks and Title Changes..

Fellow Digestians..

I'm having some probems with the car I've bought, without a smog test, on the word of the owner that it had no problems, and would pass smog eaisly.. Of course, the car comes up a gross polluter.. has serious oil consumption problems.. and probably needs a LOT of work to get legal.

Does anyone know any cheap attornies (stop laughing) in the LA/OC area of Southern CA, who might be of help with title and smog issues for cars?

Don't know how badly I need one yet, but fear doing or not doing something I should/shouldn't do if push comes to shove over my buying a car with out a smog test.

Has anyone been down this route? Any suggestions?
I know title can't change till he hands over a passing smog certficate.. and have been researching the rules and regs.. but they are dragging their feet, he is going out of the country for up to a month starting Tuesday.. and I'll be left with his girlfriend (non car owner) to deal with. Meanwhile, I've got his car, and he's got my money. They seem to be willing to work it out, but in denial over it costing more than a couple hundred bucks.. They want to take it to some smog place they'll think it will pass at.. after he's left for Europe.

Thanks..
Jon