GTV6 overheats - engine/radiator fan won't come on

Hi everyone.

My GTV6 overheated today. I determined that the right radiator fan would not come on. I could get the left fan to come on by turning on the A/C and thus was able to keep it cool enough to get it to a reasonable parking place (meaning really HOT but no temperature light).

I tried swapping the horn relay with the fan relay but it didn't help. I didn't think it would anyway since the left fan worked with A/C (and I could hear the relay click when it did). I checked the voltage at the right fan and got zero, as expected. That's all I had time for given that it's not here at home.

It seems clear that the thermal switch has failed. The shop manual doesn't say how to test it but I imagine that it's a simple open/close switch. Is it worth testing or should I just get one and replace it? Does anyone near San Jose or Monterey/Carmel have one they would part with this weekend?

Thanks!
--

-Robert Abatecola, San Jose, CA
1985 GTV6