RE: GTV6 overheats - engine/radiator fan won't come on

Before you buy a new thermoswitch, I'd short together the wires that run to it. If both fans come on then, you know the switch is bad. Otherwise you can start looking for a bad connection somewhere.

At 3:03 PM -0400 7/13/02, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:00:44 -0700
From: Robert Abatecola <robert@domain.elided>
Subject: GTV6 overheats - engine/radiator fan won't come on

Hi everyone.

My GTV6 overheated today.  I determined that the right radiator fan
would not come on.  I could get the left fan to come on by turning on
the A/C and thus was able to keep it cool enough to get it to a
reasonable parking place (meaning really HOT but no temperature
light).

I tried swapping the horn relay with the fan relay but it didn't
help.  I didn't think it would anyway since the left fan worked with
A/C (and I could hear the relay click when it did).  I checked the
voltage at the right fan and got zero, as expected.  That's all I had
time for given that it's not here at home.

It seems clear that the thermal switch has failed.  The shop manual
doesn't say how to test it but I imagine that it's a simple
open/close switch.  Is it worth testing or should I just get one and
replace it?  Does anyone near San Jose or Monterey/Carmel have one
they would part with this weekend?

Thanks!