Re: alfa-digest V8 #911

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:22:07 -0400
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided (alfa-digest) wrote:

> From: Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided>
> Subject: 1982 GTV-6: loosening bolts in rear rotors
>
> i'm working on getting the old rotors out of my wife's GTV-6. [...]
>
> i've got the halfshafts unbolted and am trying to figure out how to
> get a decent grip on the bolts in the rotors. anyone have any
> suggestions on the right approach?

I just took the rear rotors and calipers out of my Alfetta Sport Sedan
day before yesterday (first step toward replacing the dead auto with a
5-speed).  After disconnecting the inboard ends of the halfshafts with a
6mm Allen socket I had no trouble at all reaching the bolts holding the
rotors with ordinary sockets, a 3" extension, and a ratchet.  I say
sockets plural because all 6 on the right side were 17mm but the left
side had 5 15mm and one 14mm.  Not enough clearance for a deep socket,
you'll have to use an ordinary shallow socket and an extension to clear
the ears on the spacer where the halfshaft screws on.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html