MG the Best Sports Car? Hardly!

Sorry I didn't get into this fray sooner.  But I just finished swapping the
engine in my daily-driver, occasional racer MGB that was last rebuilt in
1986 for a near-race engine built by Fab-Tek.  First drive to work will be
tomorrow.

Chris, your comments about new MG's going out of the dealership on Friday &
being towed back on Monday reminds me of an Alfa 2600 I serviced back in the
early '60's.  I'm sure you will admit that not ALL MG's got towed into your
shop.  And, this Alfa wasn't always towed into our shop either.

I could debate you on each of your points, but I doubt it will change your
view.  And, besides, the more people who believe that MG's are unreliable
dogs the better.  Prices are already sky-high for good ones.

Personally, I feel that the MGB is an excellent daily driver here in the
northeast.  Parts are very easy to get.  The cars are practical &
disposable.  Heck, if I total my B, I can buy a BRAND NEW body for $6,000.
I don't worry about getting dents either on the street or on the track.
They are all easily fixable.  Better than old Alfas in that regard.

As for reliability - while I don't have much Lucas left in my current '66 B.
I owned a new MGB back in 1965.  The one electrical problem I had was with
the fuel pump.  It needed to be rebuilt at 3,000 miles to get me home to New
Jersey from Vermont.  Since 1993, I have had 2 MGB's that have been my daily
drivers.  First a 1980, and then the 1966.  I drove the '66 11,000 miles
last year including a couple of races.  Both were totally reliable in that
kind of use.  I travel into upper New England and down to Maryland & West
Virginia with the B.  It's much more fun than our Saab.

Will I ever buy another Alfa?  You bet!  But, it will only be for occasional
use.  In fact, at some point, I plan to sell my Turner & buy an Alfa.  Maybe
even the Sprint Veloce I recently sold & which is now being restored.

MG's and Alfas are BOTH wonderful cars.  But, there are more MG's out there.
And, while the Alfas are MUCH more beautiful, MG's "ain't that bad."

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB
'59 Turner
Formerly '61 Sprint Veloce