MG the Best Sports Car? Hardly!

There MG was dated like it was 1930's/40's vintage.

They had an ad on television of it being dropped out of the back of a C130 or C123 and when it landed it drove off into the desert sunset. The slogan came over the top of the scene, "MG, one jump ahead" and I would finish it by saying "of the junk yard"

I worked on MG's for a year at a dealership. The new cars would go out on a Friday and Monday they would be towed into the shop (New Cars!). Seems the needle seat under the SU's would vibrate loose and fall out. A bit of Loctite and an hour later they would be driving out.

A former MG driver wrote me one time early in the 70's about why he switched to Alfa Romeo. He said the parts cost the same but the reliability of Alfa parts was far superior!

Drove with a freind his MGB-GT. Much better car with the hard top.
When I was out looking in 1970 for a sport car that I could take on rallies, I test drove a MG and didn't buy it (thankyou God!) as I couldn't hear my passenger talk with out yelling. One of the great features of the 1600 Veloce spider is you can carry on a normal conversation with out hardly raising your voice.

Anyone ever had to tune up the wire wheels? Costs a fortune! Pray you never bend one.

I have had only but a handful of MG's ever pass me on the road. I used to whisper as they went by...your mechanic must live in your garage!
MG the best...no way.

Christopher Boles
Veloce Register
http://www.veloceregister.net