Tachometer (Rev-counter)

Hi all.  I am having a perplexing problem with my tach in a 91 Spider.  The
tach works steadily and moves the needle as the engine rpms change, but it
is showing only about 2/3 the value it should.  Going down the hiway in 5th
gear at 70mph, the tach shows about 2k rpm.  Even running it good through
the gears, the tach never goes much over 3500 rpm.

What I have done so far is to remove the instrument cluster and reseated all
of the contacts.  My next step is to get the car disc and see if I can find
where the tach pickup sensor is located.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing a low reading?

Thanks,
Mike B
91 Alfa Spider (Rosa)