RE: MGB - the greatest sportscar of all time?

Oh god,

I've owned one of each, a 65 MGB and an 86 Spider Veloce.

Let me start what will surely be fodder for huge amounts of flame and
libel.

MGBs are:
Heavy
Slow
Steer like trucks
Cast Iron block?  Gimme a break
Drum rear brakes?  Gimme a break
The engine, although it has a rather bullet proof bottom end (at least
in 5 bearing form) was pretty simple and very unexotic.  Single overhead
cam, leaky as a sieve, propensity for burning tons of oil, and
underwhelming performance.
4spd gearbox, overdrive exceptionally rare (that's Austin Healy
territory mates)
wooden brakes
overheat like crazy
lousy carbs (fuel injection? What's that?) I'll take Webers over SUs any
day, you're constantly adjusting them, and two hours later they're out
of tune again.
The top is a disaster
And finally, perhaps this should be at the top of the list, they're
BRITISH!
We all know all good sports cars are Italian.

Regards,
TJ
"who currently owns zero sports cars, but will soon!"

TJ Noto		AFM #134  	Cowpoke Racing-"Friends in Slow Places"
95 Ducati 916 Strada
96 Ducati Monster 900 (Chela's)
61 Ducati Falcone 80
70 Norton Commando Fastback
73 BMW 3.0 CS ("deviated from museum reliquary standard"-Perez)
97 BMW Z3 (Chela's)
77 Mercedes 280C (Mimosa)
00 Ford F150 Supercab
87 Suzuki RG250 (For Sale!)

Of
> Greg Stewart
> Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 6:50 AM
> To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
> Subject: MGB - the greatest sportscar of all time?
>
> My local newspaper is running an article next Friday in their "Wheels"
> section titled "MGB - The Greatest Sportscar of All Time".  I've
already
> started composing a letter to the editor to rebut this absurd claim,
but
> would appreciate any additional ammunition my fellow digesters might
be
> able
> to provide.
>
> So, let me have it - I need reasons why the Alfa Romeo Spider is a
more
> appropriate choice than the MGB for "The Greatest Sportscar of All
Time"