Car Disc: How to Make it Run Under Windows 2000

Your CarDisc Alfa CD can operate under Windows 2000
without too much hassle.  I have done it friends in
about 2 minutes, and here's how:

Why:
The CarDisc installation program wants to install the
CD in a directory it knows for other Windows varieties
but doesn't see in Windows 2000.  All you have to do
is create that directory and the CD will be happy and
reward you with an install and hours of fun eyeballing
schematics and saying things like "Is that little line
a relay lead or a vacuum hose?

How:
1). Open "Windows Explorer" or "My Computer" and
select the c: drive with your cursor.  Then go to the
"File" menu and select "New>" then "Folder" and call
the folder "Windows".  You should now have a folder
called "Windows" under the c: directory.  That's the
folder CarDisc wants to see.

2). Load the CarDisc CD into your CD drive. It will
not start up on its own, so go back to "Windows
Explorer" or "My Computer" and browse for the program
on the CD called "Winstall." Double-click it.  It will
bring up a dialogue box that has C:\WINNT as the
default target directory (which does exist but if you
don't change it CarDisc will freak out).  Change this
to C:\WINDOWS and enter.  Away it goes.  Finally, it
will ask you to confirm your CD drive name (d: or
whatever you use).

3). Now enjoy your Alfa CarDisc CD by using "Windows
Explorer" or "My Computer" to browse to the "Windows"
directory you created and double-clicking on the
application with the Alfa logo (mine is called CDI8).
You can of course drag-and-drop it on your desktop so
that you have a quick shortcut.

This should get you going.  I am sending this off to
CarDisc so that hopefully will post for others until
and if they do a formal patch.  There are a lot of us
upgrading computers and not upgrading cars (as if).

Tim Campbell
'88 Spider Veloce
Lexington, KY
http://sbc.yahoo.com