RE: Transmission Bushing

Terry,

Offset goes towards the bottom.  The support bolt should be closer to the
bottom, in other words.

I recently got a transmission bushing out and a new one in using a gear
puller on loan from Autozone (free!) and a galvanized pipe cap from the
hardware store as a pusher.  The arms of the gear puller hooked right onto
the housing around the bushing.  I used a three-jaw, but a two-jaw puller
should work too. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the cap for the gear
puller screw to ride in since it has a little bump in the center.  I don't
recall the size of the pipe cap, maybe 1 1/2" size pipe?  It has inside
threads to 'cap' the end of a pipe.  The outside diameter was very close to
the bushing size of 2 1/2".  Since you've got at least one bushing free,
just take it with you to the local plumbing supply shop/hardware store/Home
Depot and see what is closest in size.  These things are not precision
machined, so if one is a little off in size, try the next one in the bin.

I smeared anti-sieze on the bushing to hopefully make it come it easier next
time.

I did mine with the transmission out of the car--since it was out
anyway--but I think there should be enough room to do it in the car.

And to give credit where credit is due:  this was not my own idea, but from
at least one of the clever guys and gals on this digest.

Regards,

Paul.