re: sagging headliner repair

No Nissan specific knowledge here either...though I can touch on what
Charlie said about the Milano headliners. The headliner is actually a
foam-backed cloth that was attached (glued) to the molded plastic (?) or
fiberglass (?) headliner. Over time, as Charlie stated, the foam starts to
denigrate...flakes out the holes in the fabric, and the cloth part starts to
sag (don't you hate it when that happens?!?).

When this happened to my Verde, I decided to find some sort of quick fix
method. I took the headliner out, went to my parents sign shop, and tried
just about every form of spray adhesive and double sided tape....no go. It
would last a while, then would eventually sag again. What usually happened
is that the spray adhesive would melt the rest of the foam making a nasty
sticky mess...which would in turn, hold the cloth in place until which time
I would be driving down the freeway using the true Alfa AC (all windows
down, sunroof open - no convertible Milanos!).

I ended up taking out the headliner, and stripping it completely. I then
found a local upholstery place, gave them a jingle on the tele and found out
that they would install the new cloth (with better foam) for $99. I had them
leave it uncut, so as to save $$$, and spent about 30 minutes trimming the
edges and gluing them over to form nice corners. I also had to cut out all
the holes for the "oh sh!t" handles and lights/whatnot. I don't know if the
new owner of my old car is still on the digest, but I'm sure he can tell you
it looks better than new!

Long story short, I'm guessing you could do the same for the Nissan.

Ted
HMB, CA
78 Alfetta Sedan (garage is full of stuff, its now parked outside, in the
sea air!)