[no subject]

Peter wrote:

>OK. so I got the damned thing out. I paid my dues, I cursed at the drive
shaft support bearing, I coaxed the >transaxle down just far enough to get the
@#$%^&* drive shaft out. I even remember to pull the shift lever >assembly. 2
LITERS ON THE HOIST, NO PROBLEM. Now what??? there is no way in heck that my
engine stand is >going to bolt to that motor. Surly someone has run into this,
maybe even drawings for some bracket I can have >fabricated to make my life
easier. Thanks to all you guys for helping me, a reluctant wrench, come this
far. I >SHALL NOT LET YOU DOWN....

Peter -- been there, done that, spake the curses...

I have to beg ignorance on Alfetta engines, but is there a pseudo-bell housing
that comes off, and the back of the engine looks like it would (sans flywheel)
in a non-transaxle car?  If so, read on.

Here's how I solved the problem, using a Harbor Fright 1,000 lb. stand --

I removed the 4 arms from the backing plate of the engine stand and attached
them to the engine (still hanging from the hoist) at the most obvious mounting
points, i.e. 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom.  I had to use some extra
hardware for this as the 2 top points were the ones that do not have studs.  I
just used Home Depot hardware, I wasn't planning on any engine stand dyno
work.

With the 4 arms connected to the engine (loosely), I then attempted various
configurations until I found one that would line up with the slots in the
backing plate on the engine stand.  In the end this required 2 of the arms to
share a slot on the stand, and I think the plate had to be oriented "sideways"
(i.e. the handle was horizontal, not vertical).  I tightened it all up, and it
held until 5 or 6 months later when I finally got the thing reassembled and
put it back in the car.

NB:  BE CAREFUL when attempting to rotate a fully assembled 2L on this type of
stand.  The center of gravity of the assembled engine is well away from the
axis of rotation on the stand, so when it starts to go over, it goes fast and
can inflict damage on nearby objects and creatures....

Good luck, YMWV, as we say...

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800CS