Re: sagging headliner repair

Peter Hoare wrote:
I have thought of getting a syringe and filling it with some sort of adhesive and injecting it through the felt like material. It would leave no visible mark and with the correct adhesive I feel that this might work.

Any comments? Am I nuts? Is there a better way?
It will be very difficult to keep it from puddling and seaping through leaving hard crusty glue spots on the material. The other problem is that without removing the decomposing padding it might barely stick in the first place. At least this is exactly what happened in my Milano.

What worked for me: Remove headliner. Peel part of the fabric back and brush off the padding dust. Lightly spray both sides with a spray contact cement, I used a 3M Fabric Adhesive that worked great. Wait a moment or two and carefully put the fabric back in place. If you do it a 1/4 at a time you shouldn't have alignment problems. My car is no concours winner in the first place, so I was happy with the results.

I had to do the same thing to a new-old-stock sunroof liner. It was still in the original packaging and the foam had still completely self destructed.

My friend's dad used an array of decorative uphostery tacks in his Ford Fairmont, giving it a quilted look, almost like the inside of a coffin.

Better yet take it to a pro...

--Mark