RE: alfa-digest V8 #881

> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:16:44 -0500
> From: "Jay Ogorzalek" <jogorzalek@domain.elided>
> Subject: auto. to manual 75 tranny swap?
>
> Hi, folks...
>
> I looked on GTV6.org for some info on the possibility of
> swapping out an
> automatic transaxle for a manual in a Milano but only found a
> question
> asking the oppopsite by one owner looking to install an auto.
> in a manual
> car.
>
> I'm looking into the possibility of taking the automatic
> tranny out of an
> '88 Milano Platinum and replacing it with the manual tranny
> out of my '87
> Milano Silver. THe reason I'm contemplating this is that my Silver is
> basically a junk car- too rusty, etc.. but has many good
> parts (including a
> recently rebuilt tranny from a few years ago). The Platinum
> has a good body,
> solid motor and a few more do-dads than the Silver yet has that darn
> automatic.
>
> GTV6.org suggested that the aforementioned owner just
> outright look for an
> auto. Milano b/c they are relatively cheaper than manuals and
> it'd be less
> of a hassle. However, I'm looking to do the opposite and
> remove a supposedly
> (?) more complex auto. setup for the more fun stickshift into
> an otherwise
> good, solid complete car.
>
> Has anyone already done this? Again, I'm just trying to piece
> 2 cars into
> one good one. Any advice or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

I did a manual conversion to an auto on my Alfa 90, and I can tell you, it
would be easier
to go that way. The manual needs things like clutch pedal and clutch master
cylinder,
and also the body connectivity of the isostatic linkage.

Trust me, it's easier going from manual to auto. In that scenario, you take
things out.

Regards, Anthony
Sydney Australia