RE: Convention travel I40 and forest fires?

After crossing the I-40 route last year in July, I would still advise on
lots of water. That final run into CA can be LONG and HOT! Stopped at the
first sign of "civilization" in CA -- a combo gas-station and Dairy Queen.
Enjoyed the ice cream and cold drinks immensely. :)

I don't know about cooler temperature, but it is a cool route. Lots a
beautiful scenery and some fun roads, not to mention some of the
"road-side attractions". :)