heat soak?

Hello,

I have a 1967 Giulia Sprint GTV.
When it gets hot after a long run the starter doesn't turn/click/make any
sound despite everything else electrical working fine. Let it cool off and
it starts normally about 10 minutes later - v. irritating.

So this is heat soak...right?

But (sorry, I'm an engineer - I have to understand the mechanism...) what is
happening here? Correct me where I go wrong - The solenoid on the back of
the (new/recon) starter motor gets hot..series resistance increases...needs
more current to energize it...old wiring via old ignition switch can no
longer deliver it...have to wait for the solenoid to cool off etc etc.

So what is the cure? - rewire with new ignition switch? (booo), or is a
relay the recognized fix? So then I'd have an ignition switch that energizes
a relay that energizes a solenoid that energizes the starter motor ...what
could possibly go wrong?

I'll do it if you tell me it works. Thanks - any/all help appreciated.

Richard Lane