a bunch of newbie questions

       I will not comment on your questions about oil, spark plug and filter
brands.  Much of what you hear on those issues will be personal brand
preferences anyway.  I will comment that I rarely buy Lodge plugs as I cannot
figure out how to set the plug gap <grin - that is a joke>.
       Fabric covered hoses are available from various auto supply houses.
Shop around - the stuff is expensive.  AutoZone should be able to order it.
Or try Napa.
       For cleaning inside the engine, I suggest you pull the valve cover
every other oil change.  Otherwise you leave half a quart of dirty oil in the
engine.  While you have the valve cover off, tighten the timing chain and
check the valve clearances.  Write down the valve clearances for future
reference.  If valve clearances ever start to change, you have a problem.
       At that point, you might also want to pull the spark plugs and check
engine compression.  Again, keep the readings for future reference.
       NEVER start the engine with the valve galleys empty.  The first half a
quart of oil added to the engine should go into the cam galleys.  The second
half quart should go into the new oil filter before it is screwed on.
       If you are really obsessive compulsive, drop the lower sump from the
bat wing pan and clean all the junk out of the bottom of the pan.  I do that
about every fourth or fifth oil change.  Can you spell anal retentive?
       While you have the lower sump off, note all the baffles that keep oil
around the oil pump pick up under hard cornering.  Those baffles also prevent
the oil from draining out completely unless the car is level when you drain
the oil.
       There were some comments a week or so ago about an Alfa four not
taking the correct amount of oil.  I suspect that the writer did not have the
car level when he drained the oil and left a good bit of dirty oil in the pan
plus the dirty oil in the valve cover galleys.
       It also could have been that a good bit of grunge (technical term) had
built up in the bottom of the oil pan reducing the amount of oil the engine
would accept.  If you ever pull a lower sump, you will be quite amazed at the
build up of grunge.  Just as well get rid of it occasionally.
       The Alfa 2000 four with a bat wing pan holds 7.5 quarts in my
experience.  That includes a normal sized filter and the half quart in the
cam galleys.  I have measured that on several spanking clean engines I have
built.
       In fact, when mixing and matching blocks, oil pans and various dip
sticks, I have occasionally found it necessary to mark the dip stick.  I add
5.5 quarts to the engine, oil filter, and cam galleys.  I then start the
engine to fill the oil filter and shut it off.  The oil level at that point
is where the lower mark should be on the dip stick.  Add another quart to
mark the quart low mark and add a final quart for the full mark.  You should
have added a total of 7.5 quarts.
       For what it is worth, my 2.5 Milano seems to like 7 quarts.  And there
are no cam galleys to drain and clean and the bottom of the oil pan does not
come off easily.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City