164 heat in interior

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:32:33 -0400
From: Antonio Riso <riso@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 engine heat entering cabin

I'm having a hard time preventing engine heat from entering the cabin.  So
far, I have installed
a control valve shutting off water flow to the heater core (for those of you
interested, I found a 3/4''
manually operated truck valve ($24) that works well).  To my surprise, I still
feel warm air coming out
of the vents with the water shut off.  My guess is that hot air from the
engine compartment winds up
being sucked into the car because of a poor seal between the hood and the
false firewall.  I noticed that
the main gasket seals ok against the hood, but I'm missing two cube-shaped
pieces of rubber that completed
the seal at the edges of the hood.  Does anybody have spares of those rubber
blocks or tell me where I can find them?
Thanks in advance,

Antonio

Antonio,

I'd doubt that those little blocks will make a difference. If you are still
getting heat, then there is either still flow to the core, Did you install it
under the air flow meter? Works for me...

If it's a warm air leak, it would have to be a big hole.... check the shifter
rod hole for a missing grommet... best bet. If you remove the coolant from teh
equation, heat in the core is not possible.

Have fun!

Bill at Mastro
91 168, religious radiator after 12 years.
91 164 L almost road worthy after trans-ectomy NEVER again hahahah
71 VW Bus... how DO you get that windshield back in?? hahaha
87 Ford Tempo, her car, a real nugget but IT runs.
Mastro Subaru Inc. Tampa Florida USA
"Subaru Difference Dealership"
Agent for MRT Performance (Au)
Home of the WRX Monster Car