Re:Hornswaggled - alfa-digest V8 #868

     Is the spark coming at the correct time?  If you removed the distributor to install the points like I always do, you might have not gotten it seated firmly in place.  Then the engine will run for a while, jump 180 degrees out and do exactly what you describe.
     The O ring under the distributor will hold the distributor proud of the engine.  Put the O ring in the block and then put in the distributor.  Putting the O ring on the distributor often allows it to sit too high.  Not much difference in height, but enough to allow the distributor to jump time.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City