Re: Making brake lines

I think ISO bubble flare is what they're called, but that's beside the point. Don't try flaring your own lines. In my experience, even with the right tool, it's next to impossible. Just go to AutoZone or a similar establishment and buy the appropriate length of the appropriate diameter (I think all the brake lines on a Milano are 3/16") of the appropriate line (I think they call it "metric" brake line, not be confused with what they call "Japanese" brake line) and don't worry about trying to make your own flares. At least that's what I do, and it seems to work.

--On Tuesday, June 25, 2002 6:43 AM -0400 alfa-digest <owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided> wrote:

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 00:13:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Making brake lines

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:41:24 EDT Carl750@domain.elided wrote:

I have to replace a rusted away brake line on a Milano.  Is the brake
line a
standard flaring that I can make with USA tool?  If not anybody know
where I
can get a correct tool.
i can't say for certain, but it's  probably an ISO bubble flare. tricky to
make.

what i would do (and this is just me) is get the adapters from the metric
ISO flare to an aircraft flares, and then put in a new brake line using
3AN fittings. but then, i'm not normal when it comes to brakes.

also, there's a whole set of special tools that goes with that kind of
operation. fortunately, i have them, and my wife's GTV-6 is about to start
down that path.