re: spider air conditioning

Tony wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone in the group has converted there A/C from R-12  to
>the newer type of refrigerant. Is it simply a matter of using one of those
>kits available at Walmart?

Probably not that easy.  Cars made in the 1990's can sometimes make the swap
without much trouble, but a system from the 1980's likely will not have the
correct barrier-type hoses, and your compressor is probably not compatible.
It might not be terribly expensive to make the swap, still.  Have a couple
reputable a/c shops in your area look at your car and give you an estimate.
And if there is still R-12 in your system, remember that has value, so make
sure the shop is including the value of the R-12 they will recover in their
estimate.

Cheers,
Tony (too)
Portland, OR
74 GTV 2000 (Air con gone)
70 2800CS (sticking with R-12 for now...)