Re: oil filter removal

--- CARIBOULH@domain.elided wrote:
> Mark Denovich had written about removing an oil
> filter "I finally got it off by using a C-clamp
> to crush a flat spot into it, and used a big-ass
> pair of channel locks."
>
> [...] Channel Lock 460... the 16
> inch version.

There are probably many other uses for those, too.

However, for anyone stuck in the driveway who
absolutely has to get the oil filter off (oh, like if
you were foolish enough to park the car you're working
on behind the car that runs, for example... not that I
would ever DO that, again), there's one more trick.
Note that it is destructive, so do this only on
filters that you're about to remove and discard:

Punch a screwdriver through the filter and use the
handle to lever it off.  If the first turn of the
screwdriver (sounds like Henry James meets Mister
Boston) doesn't get it loose enough to remove with
hand pressure, you can punch it through a second (or
third) time, but once usually breaks the seal.

A flat-blade works better than a Philips.  On Spiders,
you're probably best off by trying to reach up under
the engine and come in just ahead of the right-front
wheel.  If your car is a bit low, you might want to
jack it up slightly to get clearance.

It's also, of course, messy, because you've now
created two drip spots, one where you punch the
screwdriver through and one where the filter comes
off.

Anyone with a 1750 or earlier is no doubt scratching
their heads and wondering why we don't just put the
right-sized socket on the big bolt that goes through
the filter boss and lower the canister out that way...
:-)

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
.