oil filter removal

Mark Denovich had written about removing an oil filter "I finally got it off
by using a C-clamp to crush a flat spot into it, and used a big-ass pair of
channel locks."

I forget which car it was, but years ago I was having a brutal time removing
an oil filter. I called my friend Tom, a professional Land Rover mechanic,
for advice. He said he'd stop by after work with his special oil filter
removal tool that has a 100% success rate... great I said.

I spent the day thinking about what this special tool could look like. Tom
showed up and unveiled a Channel Lock 460... the 16 inch version. Walked
right over to the car, grabbed the oil filter between the jaws and in the
first try spun it 2/3 of a turn. Removal was a cinch after that. Tom walked
away grinning and saying that "these have never failed him yet".

I went out and bought a set soon after and you know what... they have never
field me yet!

Ed at Caribou
www.warp9.to/Alfa
www.SportsCarConverters.com