RE: Subject: spider transmission noise

Jon Durham writes:
In 1979, my 74 Spider transmission began to whine. I unfortunatley took
it to the crooked Merrit Carden and  he eagerly told me I had to replace
some parts in the trany. Well, $600 later the rebuilt trany still whined
and I finally found the problem: the rubber boot over the shift
stick/trany had slipped off and thus allowed the noise from the normal
operation of the trany to be louder.

Jon, What you are describing here doesn't make sense. I order to rebuild
a Spider tranny, you have to remove it from the car (unless someone
knows a method so you don't have to). Merrit may have, upon reinstalling
the tranny, either omitted to put the rubber boot on or have put it on
wrong/loose. This cannot be the same problem as before. I am omitting
the possibility that Merrit just charged you $600 and drove the car
around the block.

Just my 2 cents.

Henrik Johansen
Copenhagen, Denmark