Subject: spider transmission noise

> My '84 spider has begun to make some fairly loud whirring noises,
> particularly in 3rd and fourth gear.  I'm planning a transmission
rebuild
> (a new endeavor for me - one of the few things I haven't touched on
the
> car), but I'd like to wait until the summer is over, if that's
possible.

> Questions:  Should I be worried about the new noises, and if so, how
long
> can I continue to run the car this way?  If a rebuild is urgent,
should I
> attempt to do it myself (again, I've never done this before)?  IAP
offers
> rebuilt units for a very hefty price - what are the alternatives?
Thanks
> in advance to anyone willing to share some advice.

In 1979, my 74 Spider transmission began to whine. I unfortunatley took
it to the crooked Merrit Carden and  he eagerly told me I had to replace
some parts in the trany. Well, $600 later the rebuilt trany still whined
and I finally found the problem: the rubber boot over the shift
stick/trany had slipped off and thus allowed the noise from the normal
operation of the trany to be louder.