Valve timing question

Hi all,

I've recently finished my first engine rebuild, and have a few questions.

The engine seems to produce a good amount of torque at lower RPM, but seems to "flatten out " at higher RPM. Any ideas as to what could be wrong.

Here's the background info;

The motor is an agglomeration of a good 1.8L Giulietta and a bad 105 1750 (shot rings and bearings) engines. The sump, oilpump, and cams were reused from the 1750, the rest is the Giulietta's. I believe that the problem may be with the camshaft swap from 105.20 to 105.48, and that the timing marks may be different from one to the other. Ignition timing has been checked several times, I get occasional spitting back through the carbs, and the carbs have been tuned and balanced by an expert.

A while ago there was some discussion as to the best way to extract a little more power from a 4 cylinder motor. One of the things mentioned was to change the valve timing to produce more overlap. If I assume that I've done the reverse, should I expect the reverse results?

How long after new rings should an engine take to settle in? It's had about 200 road miles and a pretty gentle track day (80 ish miles)?

Cheers
Stuart