Re: alfa-digest V8 #839 (mercury substitute)

Mercury is 13.6 times heavier than water and has no surface tension to the
glass tube in which it is contained. That is why it is used in a manometer or
carb balancer. No other material that I know of has anything close to the
above properties. With EU environmental regulations being as stringent as
they are, you will have a tough time finding legal mercury. (I suppose you
could vandalize a bunch of home heating thermostats for the switches.)
On the other hand, I used to have pretty good luck balancing carbs with a
pingpong ball manometer designed for motorcycles.