Re: Mercury substitute

Ecoutes donc, mon vieux---

Mercury is heavier than the two fluids you mention, and therefore
resists being sucked out much more strongly than the lighter fluids.
That's the reason mercury is used. You have a higher risk of slurping
out the fluid into the carb with the light ones. They may even be too
light to work at all. I suppose a chemistry or manometer supplier can
get it, but it may well be illegal.

Je te souhaites bonne chance!

--- Yvon <yvon.duvivier@domain.elided> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last year, I bought an Alfa Romeo C.2.0014 diass to synchronize
> carbs.
> Unfortunately, no mercury in it and it looks difficult to find some.
> It's now
> time to use it for my Giulia Super.
> What quantity of mercury do I need and can I replace mercury with
> some other
> product that will give the same result ?  I was thinking about oil
> and maybe
> gearbox oil.  Will this oil move in the tube as fast as mercury and
> the same
> way.
>
> Thanks in advance for any response and have a good day,
> Yvon
> --
> to be removed from alfa, see
> /bin/digest-subs.cgi