Mercury substitute

Hi all,

Last year, I bought an Alfa Romeo C.2.0014 diass to synchronize carbs.
Unfortunately, no mercury in it and it looks difficult to find some.  It's now
time to use it for my Giulia Super.
What quantity of mercury do I need and can I replace mercury with some other
product that will give the same result ?  I was thinking about oil and maybe
gearbox oil.  Will this oil move in the tube as fast as mercury and the same
way.

Thanks in advance for any response and have a good day,
Yvon