Two Milano Questions

Hi all
Two fairly quick questions I hope. 1987 Milano, 2.5 Manual. 70K on clock. How hot should the car run during "normal driving", i.e. not stuck in traffic, not too hot outside! My car seems to settle somewhere between 80/175 and the next mark on the gauge. My sense is that it should be at 175. Anything to worry about - how hot is too hot?
Second question, at speed I am noticing quite a lot of play in my steering around the straight ahead position. There is also some vibration which I am putting down to wheel balance. Any thoughts on likely cause of the play?
As always, thanks in advance

Lyndon