relative 156 prices

In a message dated 6/19/2002 9:09:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Has anyone seen the 1999 red 156 for sale on ebay?  It was brought in from
> Norway as part of "personal belongs" move from Norway.  At least that's
> what is in the description.  The first bid is $55,000.00 USD is he OUT of
> his MIND???  I'm sure since it one of the few in the country it should get
> more, but $55,000.00??  Couldn't you buy this car in Europe for $30,000.00
> - $40,000.00???  Anyone know what they go for new?

It's very hard to say what something would sell for in the USA v other
countries.  I know some countries have fabulously high duties on imported
cars, for example - even some that don't make cars themselves!

And, at least in Italy, the 156 is available with a range of choices of
engine, trans, etc. that I am sure could make a huge price difference.

A quick calculation of a green Italian 2.5L with 5 speed that was visiting
Concours Italiano a couple of years ago made the equal US price something on
the order of US$21,000 at the time.

YMMV, but US$55k seems slightly outrageous unless someone is trying to a)
gouge, or 2)recoup at 100% Norwegian import duty.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA