oil level

In a message dated 6/18/2002 6:57:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Didn't think of that.  All the oil went in through the 0170 cap, so the top
> of
> the head saw no oil until the pump sent it that way.  I bet a good 1/2
> quart
> or more can sit in there.
>
> We still haven't answered Andrew's question, though...
>
> The oil pockets by the lifters hold a fair volume of oil, Tony.
>
> (You said "after the rebuild", which leads me to wonder whether you
> pre-filled those pockets before putting the cam cover on.)

I can't even guess how accurate or comparable one dipstick is to another, but
in my experience it also matters perhaps half a US quart's worth whether you
check the level when the car has been running and is at least warmed up, if
not hot, and if you check it when it is cool/cold.  Whether this has to do
with the oil being circulated v pooling in the pan, or with the oil expanding
when hot, or both, I will leave to the wise.  I only calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Also, I have found most (many?) non-Alfa drivers WILL NOT BELIEVE how much
oil a little Alfa engine holds.  I am not that experienced with other makes,
is it really that much of a difference?  More than a couple of US quarts?

Charlie
LA, CA, USA