Re: alfa-digest V8 #837

on 6/19/02 8:59 AM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:13:30 -0400
> From: ALFAXTC@domain.elided
> Subject: 156 FS on ebay in the US????
>
> Has anyone seen the 1999 red 156 for sale on ebay?  It was brought in from
> Norway as part of "personal belongs" move from Norway.  At least that's what
> is in the description.  The first bid is $55,000.00 USD is he OUT of his
> MIND???  I'm sure since it one of the few in the country it should get more,
> but $55,000.00??  Couldn't you buy this car in Europe for $30,000.00 -
> $40,000.00???  Anyone know what they go for new?
>
> Alan
> 88 Milano 3.0
> 87 Spider Quad
> 88 Spider Grad

$US28,000 to $US40,000 depending on model, engine and options. Alfa has an
options list as long as one's arm. Whoever is selling this car is in for a
heap o' trouble, not to mention the guy who buys it. The way I understand
the law, the person who brought it here signed a paper agreeing to not sell
the car to anyone else in this country. He/she is supposed to sell it out of
the country so that it gets shipped out when sold. The buyer, OTOH, if he's
a resident of the USA, will play hell getting it registered, as its not
listed on any US DMV database as being a legal US model. Also, if the buyer
is in California, they'll laugh him out of the state when he tries to get it
past the smog laws. I'd love to be able to watch this one play out.

George Graves