Funky Milano oil gauge

A few weeks ago (after an oil change - a coincidence I'm sure) the oil pressure gauge on my 87 Milano Gold starting doing strange things. What used to be a steady 55psi reading at warm speed, with near zero at idle, immediately turned into an unsteady 10 - 20psi at speed. Everyone said "it's the sender" - so yesterday I installed a new one.

Now I have MORE than enough pressure on the gauge - cold idle to 3000rpm pegs the gauge at 110psi. When warm, the gauge reads slight pressure at idle, but pegs at 110 again at around 2000 RPM. I realize the gauge readings on a Milano are no better than a rough estimate, but this seems absurdly incorrect. Could this be another bad sender? The new one from Centerline has a 19mm hex instead of the 14mm I took off, it this is any hint. Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Lew Rosenberger
Ramona, California, USA