re: Hokey religions and ancient weapons (equally long)

Random thoughts occurred as I read along through Scott's prose (pro's?), maybe
of some relevance if Alfa once again enters the marketplace in the USA.  While
I'm sure that for most of us the main attraction to our cars is not the
profile we cut while driving them around, I'll certainly admit to a measure of
ego-gratification in the mix of my old-car fascination.  It feels good when
someone rolls down the window at a stoplight to comment on your car, or you
get a wave or a thumbs up from someone walking down the street, even if, after
they ask what it is, they inevitably say "an Alfa Romero, huh?"

I happen to own another older European car of a Marque (Grand? perhaps once,
but it is probably a bit to much of a "Brand" now) that has remained in the
USA market, has attained a pretty good share of that market, and has been
positioned as a premium vehicle with a sporting heritage.  This car gives me
the same thrill, the same feeling of being in "the secret society", but has a
brand that is widely recognized, if the car itself is not.

There's the rub, kids -- when I drive my Alfa around town, I rarely see other
Alfas unless I'm with the club, but almost universally, if I know the other
Alfa driver or not, they offer a wave, a flash of the lights, some friendly
gesture and a smile of appreciation and recognition for the car.

When I drive my BMW around town, I pass dozens of other BMWs.  If the other
car is on the older side, sometimes the driver will respond (if it's a 2002 or
another coupe they act like loons).  If the car is 15 years old or less --
generally no recognition at all.  Once in a while, a late model driver will
give the CS a second glance, but their look usually says "Is that really a
BMW, or did he just stick those roundels on a Corvair?"  No matter how many
times I tell myself I drive these cars for my pleasure, and I don't care if
other people don't get them -- it still burns me a little when people in BMW's
don't.  Don't worry, that's just the tip of the iceberg, my therapists will
retire well.

I'm all for Alfa returning to this country, but to be successful, Alfa must
market to the people who have supported the success of Audi, BMW, Mercedes and
the rice cream brands.  By and large, those people are buying based on the
advertising image, what their co-workers or neighbors like, what their
favorite sports or music star drives, or whatever external influence pushes
the buttons that drive them to part with a minimum of 30 large for four
wheels, 40 computers and more airbags than even Ali could duck.  They would be
well served to study what Saab and Volvo have done to crack that market --
just enough "different" in their pitch to attract attention, but more and more
"same" in the cars to avoid unfavorable comparisons.  The nail that sticks up
will be pounded down, grasshoppah...

Those target market folks will not be ogling our shiny/rusty/shiny/rusty old
babies and giving us an ego boost.  They've got their own egos to stroke, and
probably have little interest or knowledge of the heritage that brings them
the pleasure and gratification of driving that premium branded vehicle (if it
even has any outside of what the marketing department dreamed up).  We're
likely not getting any more fans out of this deal, let's just face that right
up front!  Such is the price of success.

Another issue to ponder is, how might this affect AROC and the local clubs?
The BMW CCA has something like 60,000 members now.  They actively recruited
new membership with the help of BMW NA, who (at least for a time) included CCA
applications in each new car.  They also developed a close relationship with
NA, and through them with BMW AG, and have been successful in influencing the
design of the cars headed to the USA -- primarily the M3, and the M3
Lightweight, cars that carry the lion's share of BMW's sporting image in this
country/market.  They also promoted AG's support of Mobile Tradition, the
factory spares organization that supports the older cars.

More members, factory NOS parts and the ability to get a GTA that's really A
-- what could be wrong with that?  I'm not passing judgement, but I decided
not to renew my CCA membership a couple years ago.  The "feel" of the CCA now
and what is was 10 or 15 years ago is completely different.  AROC is a bit
minor-league, small town in comparison -- and that feels more like home for
me.  Maybe the people who came to Alfa via the purchase of a 164 feel
differently, I probably would if I had a newer car.  Wouldn't it be great if
the aftermarket was stacked 10 deep with wheels, tires, suspension goodies,
chips, cams, turbos, body kits, interior trim, intake mods, exhaust systems,
etc., etc..  30,000 or 40,000 additional potential customers could do that,
and as the newer cars get covered the SEMA crowd could be looking to woo the
164 owners.

Another point to ponder -- would attracting new people to the Alfa brand do
anything to swell the ranks of the "enthusiast" crowd?  Why did you get "into"
cars yourself?  Because dad or grandpa, or a brother or uncle (or mom, aunt or
sister -- equal time)?  With high school friends, hanging at each other's
houses and wrenching on whatever had been towed to that garage that day?
Racing dirt bikes or go karts and doing your own work because that's the only
way you could afford the hobby?

Sometimes I think the passion that drives so many of us is waning in the
coming generations because the cars they end up in allow for so little
wrenching.  Mostly because they're stone reliable, but also because OBDC stuff
and increasing complexity driven by the competition for performance and
emmissions compliance.  After about the 1990 model year, things get pretty
challenging if you don't have an above average grasp of electronics and some
fairly expensive test equipment.  How do you gain a love for grease if all you
ever do is swap chips?  For most of the teenagers in my circle, the wheels and
the wing are the barometer of car cool, not the cam or the headers.  Slam it,
stick a big chrome croaky exhaust on it and you're a racer!  I'm glad it's fun
for them, but they'll be driving whatever the ad agenies tell 'em to by the
time they're 25.

You weren't expecting this to have a point, were you?

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800CS (I think that stands for Coupe Stealth)