Thermostat on '79 Sprint Veloce

I tried to replace the thermostat on my 79 Sprint Veloce that
has the original Spica manifold, as far as I know. When I removed
the thermostat cover there was a gasket but no O-ring. The old
thermostat was sitting in the recess of the housing. The cover
has the number 12 cast in it and is held on with bolts, not
studs.

The replacement thermostat (part # 1405 from IAP) has an O-ring,
that when mounted on the thermostat, does not sit in the recess
in the housing. If I try to put the cover over it, the flange of
the cover is 2-3mm away housing before tightening. This doesn't
seem right.

My Haynes manual says Do not attempt to lever the thermostat out
of the cover, the components can not be separated and are only
supplied as an assembly. Is this a different assembly?

I bought a gasket from NAPA but it seems to leak unless I tighten
it more than the 11.6 ft/lbs that is specified in the inspection
specifications.

I ordered another thermostat with a cover from Jon Norman (he
said he would ship it overnight to me) but he said it has an
O-ring also.

Am I missing something? I am considering using PERMATEX Water
Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. Does anyone have
experience with this product?

Thanks,

Leslie Wong
Pacific Grove, CA