5 pt belts on the street

I have noticed no mention of one very important aspect of using 5 pt belts on the street. I've had them in the Spider a while now, and consider some sort of 3 point rig to augment them for the street.

You need to move around more in street driving than in straight ahead track stuff. Turning around to parallel park, or see where that kid and tricycle in the driveway went, is impossible with 5 pt belts that are anywhere near snug. The inertia reel on a street system would allow such moves.

The result is that I use only the lap belts for the street, and cinch down the whole thing in the pre-grid or if we're headed out on a quick tour.

Oh, and if you are going to the expense and trouble of installing 5 pt belts, don't mess with the over-center lever, aircraft style ones. Putting them together requires threading both shoulder belts and the crotch belt onto the male lap belt, holding them just so, and cramming the whole thing into the female side. Very fiddly. With cam lock belts, you can plug them in one at a time and the crotch belt doesn't go away while you're groping for the left shoulder one. Makes a significant difference in daily convenience, believe me.

Cheers,
Joe