Spider top question

Digesters-  Yet another newbie question- this one about those little
bungee straps in my Spider, back in the cargo area behind the seats.  IAP
says to always use them, and to replace them promptly when they break,
but I can't figure out what they're supposed to attach to. Mine are
secured at the bottom, with a hook that fits into a grommet in the
carpeted liner when not in use, but what purpose are they supposed to
serve? (Eyerolls permitted if this is a dumb question)   TIA,   Patrick
Hood '78 Spider, Seattle.