Re: HVAC Removal on GTV6

on 6/12/02 2:29 PM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:43:24 -0600
> From: "Robert Savi at TechStyle Computers, Inc" <savi@domain.elided>
> Subject: HVAC Removal on GTV6
>
> I am in the process of repairing the dashboard on my 86 GTV6 and am wondering
> how to detach the HVAC unit from the main dash.  I removed the two screws on
> either side of the unit, but it has not budged.  I have also moved the stereo
> console and I see a metal bracket that has 6 screws in it.  Do all those need
> to be removed?  I just need about 2" of space to slide in the dash cap.
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert C. Savi
> Principal/Architect
> TechStyle Computers, Inc.

This won't be much help, but you have hit upon the same problem I had when I
tried to install a new molded dash cap. I worked at it for days before
giving up. It looks like it has to come-off from the back, I.E. the engine
side of the firewall which entails removing the windshield-wiper motor box
and all of the electronics bolted to it. My Alfa mechanic agrees (even
though he's never had to do one). I gave up and bought one of those nice
carpet-type dash covers that IAP sells. It fits very well and has the added
feature of TOTALLY eliminating the dash reflected glare off-of that
steeply-raked windshield.

George Graves