Rich mixture saga, continued...still fouling a plug

Well, after installing the proper plugs  (NGK BP7ES), and replacing the 02
sensor with a brand new bosch unit, she's still misbehaving.  I drove about 15
miles yesterday, and it ran like a top (compared to previous drives), but
still running rich, with a light, steady amount of black smoke coming out of
the exhaust.  Today, I fired her up, and prepared for another short trip, and
only 3 cylinders were hitting.  I pulled each plug wire in search of the
offender, and when I pulled #3, there was no change in the engine operation.
I pulled the plug, and it is heavily sooted and fouled.  What gives?  I can't
imagine a single fuel-system related item is to blame at this point, as the
entire system should suffer, should it not?  But I'm all ears, so doc, please
advise...

Greg
84 Spider