2l starters ... urban legend?

<The new geared Alfa starter is a direct replacement for the old 2.0 liter
<unit (9 teeth on the starter) . . . and it only weighs 8 lbs. Downside ...
<it sounds like a Chrysler. I traded an early starter to a purist because
<he didn't think the new one sounded like an Alfa.
<
<- -Jim Steck
<AutoComponenti
<
<********************
<you are absolutely right, provided you are substituting the new, smaller
<starter for the one used from 1975-1981. 2 liter alfas from 1975 on use
<a 131 tooth flywheel ring gear. 1972-74 cars have a 130 tooth flywheel,
<and a very different starter, whose drive gear placement is about .050"
<outboard of the newer starter. a 1975 on starter will work in a 72-74 car
<only so long as it takes for it to chew the teeth off of the flywheel.
<yes, you can install the 131 tooth ring gear on the earlier flywheel,
<but why? rather just have a local rebuilder make the original unit fit for
<service, and don't get worked up about the weight.
<
<cheers
<alfadoc
<iap tech

The above statements were pulled from the archives. My question is this: has
anyone seen this happen with their own eyes??? I've known people using the
post '74 starters on pre '75 cars (and I know that some never went through
the trouble of changing the ring gear). One of my own cars ('74 spider)
actually came to me with the larger, post '74, starter. When I parted the
car and pulled the engine the ring gear was fine.

anyone?

Tim Lentz
Tampa, FL