RE: Piston/liners gone bad....

> I am a long time listener, first time caller.
> Recently,  my 90 spider grad was missing at idle. I
> removed the spark plugs, finding #4 fouled. I then
> checked the compression. 1,2, and 3 were good with
> about 120 psi. 4, however, was not so good. It gets
> between 70 and 90 psi. I had been noticing a little
> surging on acceleration, and also a bad exhaust smell.
> I attributed these to some motronic component or
> unmetered air. I think this is the root of my
> problems. I know that I need to fix it. I have been
> reviewing the Cardisc engine overhaul manual, and
> there are a lot of special tools shown. I would like
> to know if anyone can recommend which tools I would
> actually have to have in order to change the pistons
> and liners. Is this a job for the DIY'er? I have done
<snip>

I'm puzzled as to how you got from a problem with a Motronic component to
bad pistons/liners?

How many miles are on this car?  Unless you have well over 100k miles, I
wouldn't begin to suspect the bottom end, especially for the symptoms you're
describing.

I'd suspect a head gasket, burnt valve, something in the electronics, pretty
much a whole bunch of stuff before going near the bottom end.

And fwiw, motronic 10.1:1 pistons are the ones to have, better than the
10.4:1 Borgos.

bs