Piston/liners gone bad....

Hello All,

I am a long time listener, first time caller.
Recently,  my 90 spider grad was missing at idle. I
removed the spark plugs, finding #4 fouled. I then
checked the compression. 1,2, and 3 were good with
about 120 psi. 4, however, was not so good. It gets
between 70 and 90 psi. I had been noticing a little
surging on acceleration, and also a bad exhaust smell.
I attributed these to some motronic component or
unmetered air. I think this is the root of my
problems. I know that I need to fix it. I have been
reviewing the Cardisc engine overhaul manual, and
there are a lot of special tools shown. I would like
to know if anyone can recommend which tools I would
actually have to have in order to change the pistons
and liners. Is this a job for the DIY'er? I have done
valve/head replacement jobs, although not on an alfa.
Can I use the 10.4:1 high compression BORGO pistons
and liners in a motronic? Since I will have the engine
out and apart, should I just change the main bearings
as well? Dare I delve into the transmission to change
the synchros while it's out? And my final question
is..... Might there be a brave soul near the west
coast of Florida who might volunteer as my
advisor/coach? I will only ask questions.

Thanks for all your help/advice.

Ken O'Connor
Sarasota, Florida
90 Spider Graduate