Engine heatup rate... thermostat issues?

Hi,
	I'm curious as to the rate at which your engines heat up.  Mine
takes at LEAST 20 minutes to reach an operating temperature of somewhat
below 170F on the indicator.  It's usually about 160F, but perhaps the
gauge is inaccurate.... however, the heater isn't exactly melting my feet
even at that temperature so I bet its close.

	I'm asking because I wonder if my thermostat isn't closing all the
way, slowing the heating up, and holding the temperature lower than it
should.

My car is an 88 spider veloce.

thanks,
	Don Banfield

Don Banfield					Senior Research Associate
banfield@domain.elided                   Cornell University Astronomy