Re: Subject: Valve shim question

    Can valve shims be milled down and used, or do they have to be purchased
at the correct size? I think they could easily be lapped down on a piece of
plate glass, some 400 grit wet or dry paper, and some WD-40. I am wondering
if this process would take off some sort of coating or if the top of them are

hardened or something. What is the thoughts of the digest?
      thanks,
   randy long

       I did this in an emergence many moons ago with no adverse effects.
But I don't suggest it as a regular practice.  They are harder than Chinese
arithemetic and it takes forever just to lap a couple of thousanths off.  I
have since acquired a set of spare shims and have found that to be a whole
lot easier and quicker!
  Skip
67 Duetto
Norfolk, Va.