Re: SPICA problem

In a message dated 5/31/2002 12:37:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> >Also, now when my thermostat opens, the engine temps immediately jumps from
> >140 to 212 Fahrenheit. (low end of the gauge to high end)  I am not sure
> >where to start troubleshooting on this car.

I have to disagree with Dean on this.  To me the key here is the rapid rise
from 140 to 212+.  I think your statement about the thermostat opening is
mistaken, I think the thermostat is NOT opening, that is why it is
overheating and throwing the mixture off.  I think the thermostat has failed
closed.  You might want to check this out, simply remove the one in there and
try it, if it solves the problem get a new one and put it in....noting the
correct direction for coolant flow.  Don't run without a thermostat.

Jerry in Houston