oil in the water

greetings alfisti--

have discovered some *globules* in my expansion tank and a little foam in
the header tank--also looks like some wet, oily deposits on the block around
the #4 cylinder. after reading up on past digests i am convinced that i
should replace my head gasket.
i have questions:

1]  the p.o. had the head re-done less than 10k miles ago...what's up? have
i done something wrong?

2]  Can i actually do the head gasket without removing the engine from the
car? i'm talking about the spica aspirated 2000 engine in my 79 alfetta
sedan ("sports sedan" if you must). Anyone who's done this and could give me
some tips, i would really appreciate it.

3] any comments on the specific gasket to use and source would also be
appreciated...

thanks in advance

--j garrison
79 alfetta sedan