RE: Berlinas

Ahhh... good to see some more appriciation for my first Alfa!

My Alfa experience started when I stumbled across a 69 1750, when I wasn't even looking for a car..

I remembered around 200lbs more, looks like a bit less. Not that much of a difference, though I'm surprised at how much heaver the later cars got.. Having driven Spiders in later years, I did notice the longer wheelbase made for a nicer ride over rough roads..
A memory pops up in my mind.. our group of post-high school buddies getting together and going someplace, and everyone automatically gets in my car (again)... I ask "why are we always taking MY car?" amid the three sheepish looks, Ed pipes up "Uh.. we really like the way it rides!"

As usual, Scott captures it in poetic style.. and yes.. one of the most fun things about the car (after just driving it) was the "stealth" factor.. It looked like some overgrown Fiat, or Datsun sedan (always wondered if the 510 got its design inspiration from the Berlina) but drag me at a stoplight.. I can't tell you how many BMW and 914 egos were injured.. ;-) not to mention the late 70's smog choked Camaro's and such.. most people scratched their heads thinking "what WAS that thing??" till the silver lettering on the tail became apparent (and smaller) as the car dissapeared down the straight or twisty road..

I ended up selling it to a friend of mine, after getting the Spider, who commented on how it felt more like a bike than a car.. meant in a positive way.
Speed and handling, the amazing Alfa feel of the road.. and a true, comfortable sedan that seats 4 (5 in a pinch) adults in full comfort.. (including my 6' 7" friend) a trunk actually worthy of the name.. all in all, great cars..

Go for it Scott!! Get that rear end tightend up.. and tell us all about it...

Jon and Marcia
still Alfaless in Irvine (CA)